How to survive a Full Moon Party

How to survive a Full Moon Party 



I won't lie, when I knew I was going to Thailand one of the first things I knew I just had to do was go to a Full Moon Party. I mean I'd even learnt about them in A Level Geography. I would be doing myself an injustice if I didn't go. If anyone goes to Koh Phangan and doesn't attend the Full Moon Party then you are doing yourself an injustice. 

Koh Phangan is an island off the coast of Thailand and once a month (although Half Moon Parties are also a thing here) the Full Moon comes out and Haad Rin Beach turns into party central. I and my friend had already booked into a hostel (Goodtime Backpackers) so we didn't have to worry about accommodation. If you can, I'd say get there a few days early to ensure you're not left with the grottiest or most expensive hostels, or book in advance. Hostels are also a great way to meet people if you're travelling alone or want to make new friends. 


PRES: at 20:00 go to 7-Eleven and purchase at least one litre of vodka with a mixer of your choice. Drink at least half the bottle before you leave at 23:30. Dress yourself in neon with comfortable shoes and don't bring anything valuable. 
TAXI: hail a taxi and wait for it to fill up. All of you will be going to the same place. Befriend your taxi companions and if applicable, use their neon paint. 
ENTRANCE: along the street down to Haad Rin you will find lots of vendors selling alcohol buckets and neon paint. If you feel you are beginning to sober, drink more. It costs 100 baht to enter the party and you will be given a super cool wristband. Wear it with pride. 
THE BEACH: do not at any point remove your shoes and it is not advisable to enter the sea unless you want to swim in everyone's piss. See above if you are feeling sober. If needed, acquire WiFi from one of the many bars. If you are feeling suicidal, jump a fire rope. If you merely want to singe your eyebrows, go under a fire rope limbo. Find a bar with your type of music and next thing you know it will be 6am and the sun will be rising. 



We had the best time and, to be honest, I think that was the longest time I've managed to sustain the perfect level of drunk. Others were not so lucky. The music ranged from techno, to chart remixes and Bruno Mars bangers. We eventually got a taxi back to our hostel and spent the next day recovering. 

Best night ever. 




No comments:

Post a Comment